Friday, January 1, 2016

Tasty Wien Treats

Sometimes it is just about the food.  I remember overhearing a conversation one hot afternoon along the Mekong River.  A woman was sitting at a table reading a book, the remains her lunch in front of her.   A second woman leaned over to her from another table and asked "Why do you come to Thailand?"  The first woman looked up from her book and replied with two simple words:  "The food."  She smiled and returned to her reading. 

I have never forgotten that brief exchange.  From my experience, the joy of discovering new foods is one of the great benefits of traveling.  Whether it is Wurst in Wien or Curry in Colombo, there is always a new flavor or aroma waiting to be discovered and savored. 


One of my new food discoveries here in Wien is Apfelpastete.  A type of liver wurst pate', this spreadable treat is made from pork liver, chicken meat, and chicken fat. It is topped with apples in an aspic-like jelly.  I know, it sounds a bit weird. 


While it is not the most visually attractive of foods, spread on a hearty Brot it is, in fact, a tasty treat. 

Pepi's Speisekarte sporting a dozen varieties of Leberkäse.   

Any winter jaunt in Wien will of necessity require a warm food stop.  My Baby and I set out to join the crowd on the cold streets of Wien, eager to take part in the festivities for New Years Eve.  What better place to start than Pepi's?   Tiny, warm, and packed full of revelers taking a break from the freezing temperatures, it was a cozy refuge.  

As I have posted before, Leberkäse is one of my street food staples here in Wien. Now I had the chance to show off my spot to a native of the Stadt!!

The lovely loaves of Lebenkäse nestled in their steamy glory!

Mmmmmm!!  Warme Speisen!!

My Pikant im Semmel in the foreground and My Sweetie's Chili-Käse im Semmel, hot grub for cold festivities. 

Warmed, fed, and ready, we stepped out into the biting cold of the last evening of this year.  The Alt Stadt was awash in magical lights and thronged with merry-makers.  But that is the stuff of the next post. 

Prosit Neu Jahre!!

No comments:

Post a Comment