Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Small Explorations, Small Transport



















Here is one of the many art deco treasures of Vienna, small discoveries that make my little explorations worthwhile.

It was cold today here in Wien, a gray foggy day that chilled into the bone.  The sun that has graced us over the days of Christmas has disappeared.  Nonetheless, there were errands to run and missions to accomplish.  I was headed for Naschmarkt, the large market area along the Wienfluss and just a bit southwest of the Alt Stadt.  This is the area of Vienna that most closely resembles the Public Market in Seattle and, like Pike Place, Naschmarkt is an attraction for tourists and locals alike.  Several years before I set foot in Wien I had heard of this market but I misunderstood the name as "Noshmart" which is not far from the truth.  Food and drink stalls vie with produce and gourmet food stands for the euros of the passersby.  To walk through Naschmarkt is to be beckoned to in multiple languages with each vendor calling out for you to stop and sample the tasty tidbit they are holding out as bait.  Olives and meats, cheeses and candied fruit, nuts and sweets, all dangling before the crowd in hopes of making a sale. 

My only business here was a quick espresso at my favorite hidey-hole before heading to my cigar shop to purchase a bit of contraband for my Brothers.  Suitably buzzed and packing a few puros that are not allowed in the US of A, I headed just North of Naschmarkt for my real mission.  I was going to pick up on new kick-scooter and I was making the purchase with my new Austrian bankcard.  Exciting stuff!























Here is my new steed, glowing brightly on this foggy day.  The scooter has a sliding retractable handle and a folding foot plate and is equipped with a carrying strap.  Folded up, the thing slips under ones arm and can easily be carried onto the U-Bahn or tram car.  As a bonus feature, it sports the cutest little kick-stand ever conceived of.  Mounting up, I headed off on the maiden scooter voyage.  These things are great for Vienna!  The rear fender brake is easy to use and has a nice feel.  Having a handle is a novelty that takes some getting used to after years of riding a long-board.  I still ride goofy, but I spent the day trying to lead with both the left and right foot.  As I got a feel for the ride, I was able to ride regular as well as goofy, but I will always be stronger in the goofy position of right foot forward, left foot propelling.























More little Art Deco gems, hidden amongst the modern urban backdrop.

Riding down the bike paths of Vienna, I was thoroughly enjoying my new toy.  I rolled past our old apartment on Margaretten Gürtel and then south towards Meidling and the 12th District.  It was a long roll, but I was learning the tricks to jumping curbs and negotiating cobblestone sections.  I ended up at Wien Meidling and tried to find the bike route south to the homestead.  Crossing under the huge rail complex of the U-Bahn and Stadtbahn, I found the Meilding Freidhof instead.


















There is not much that is lonelier than a Wien graveyard on a winter's day.

Before I could commit to the bike path south to Alterlaa, My Baby texted me to ask if I would meet her in the City for gelato and coffee.  This meant a roundtrip back to where I had bought my scooter, a long push-scoot back, but I quickly agreed.  I folded up my trusty little vehicle, tucked it under my arm and jumped on the U-6 back into town. 

Gelato, coffee, some window shopping along Mariahilfestrasse and then it was time to ride the U-6 back home for some warm comfort food.  Another fine winter day in Wien!  I can't wait to scoot about the 'hood on my new transport, but the night is very dark and very cold.  My little scooter is folded up in the corner waiting on new adventures, but it will have to wait until Morgen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment