Sunday, December 27, 2015

Mission: Liesing

I like to invent nonsensical or nonessential missions, quests for objects that are of little or no importance.  The motivation for these missions is not the purported object but an excuse to wander about without the need to admit it.  Now, Via the miracle of Blog-Time-Travel we can journey back to one of those nonsense quests.

Liesing is the name of the 23rd district here in Vienna and is the district that we live in.  It is in the Southeast of Vienna and compromises about thirty-two square kilometers.  The Liesing Fluss, or Liesing River, flows through Liesing from the hills of the Wienerwald and right on down to the Danube River.  The Liesing also runs very near our apartment and creates the greenbelt that is so often my route for exploratory missions.  Liesing "River" is a bit of hyperbole, at least most of the time.  The Liesing is more of a Strom or a Bach than a Fluss. 

We live way over on the Northwest edge of the 23rd District.   If we lived any further to the Northwest we would be in the 12th District, Meidling, home of the Wien hillbillies.  Ah, it is true, my poor mind is being influenced by the local stereotypes.  That said, Meidling is a bit on the local-yokel side of the spectrum. 

The Mission?!?!?  Oh, yes, sorry.  We needed grub and my Baby wanted some fish for dinner.  Due to the holidays the Liesing Farmer's market was open on Wednesday this week and there was usually a fish monger stall at the market  Voila!  A perfectly plausible excuse to explore the Liesing Fluss trail all the way to Liesing Platz, about 3.5 kilometers one way.  For a fish.  Sure. 


















Bless High Pressure systems!  The sun was shining over the urban village of Alterlaa.  This is my regular route to almost anywhere.  The Liesing Fluss is in the foreground, past the footpath.

Heading upstream from our apartment about one kilometer, the Liesing Fluss disappears into a tunnel and thence under a busy Strasse.  I needed to find the river at the other end of the underground passage and continue on towards Liesing proper.


















Going just from memory and a vague idea of the local geography, I did not find the other end of the river as quickly as I thought.  I did, however,  find the best tended graveyard I have seen in many a year. 




































Aha!  The river, a path, a sunny day.  I thoroughly enjoyed the stroll along the river, alternating between the pathway and the flagstones as the way dictated.   The river ducks underground again at Liesing Platz and I walked under the Bahnhof via a pedestrian tunnel and into the bustle of Liesing Platz.  The bustle was lacking a fish monger stand, however.   New Mission, new mission!!

I walked to the Riverside, a small mall on Liesing Platz.  How about a new electric water kettle and a cuban cigar?  That's a mission, right? 

My "mission" accomplished,  I window-shopped my way back towards the homestead, stopping for a quick peruse of a bike store, an old fashioned Wurst Shop, and a toy store.   We still needed fish so I had to settle for the Merkur near the apartment.  Low and behold!  They had just gotten a nice shipment of salmon and it was on sale!  Now I could rest my weary dogs after I attended to my rumbling tum.























Lamm und Kalb, Stat!!!  My local and very good Kebap Stand.


















You've got your Lamm gruppe, your Kalb gruppe, your Brot gruppe and your Gemuse gruppe all in one tasty pita.  What more does a weary walker want?

No comments:

Post a Comment