Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Rains and Rest

The special Madonna would arrive on this rainy Saturday, to be ensconced in the Neo-Romanesque churh off of the lovely piazza.  The rains also gave us a fine excuse for a lazy day, which we took full advantage of.

I lounged around on the rooftop terrace, watching the rain squalls fall over the harbor while reading my book and smoking the occasional cigar. 

My Heart joined me on the rooftop and we sheltered together.  Without an appropriately sized alternative, I had to use my Grandfather's gold ring to ask her the question.  She accepted the overlarge gold ring as a token until I could do the proper ring shopping back home in Wien.  And so life changes for the better.

The first evening of our engagement was spent on the balcony of a trattoria overlooking the piazza.  During a slow and leisurely dinner, what seemed like the entire town turning out for the church event.  San Marco was a new place, transformed with activity.  The celebratory mass was played over loudspeakers for those folks still in the piazza.  Finally, the Madonna was carried into the little church and all was well. 

We finished our evening hanging out with the local pizze crowd and retired.  On the morrow we would journey back to Napoli.  Some days are like this one:  nothing really happens, and then everything does.

No comments:

Post a Comment