Friday, May 27, 2016

Where They Know Your Name

 Cigarstore Hazar, 42 Margarettenstrasse 42, Wien

The long-running sitcom "Cheers" was loosely based on the premise that human beings want and need a gathering place, somewhere other than our own home, a place to go "where everyone knows your name."  It can be a cafe', a barbershop, a beauty parlor or a bench on the town square.  Take, for example, any early morning establishment that serves breakfast.   For a few mornings, find yourself a spot at the counter.  I would lay good money that you will very quickly be able to spot the regulars, the table that hosts the same group of folks every morning.  Keep coming too many mornings and you will probably find yourself invited to that table.  It could become "your place."

I'm a cigar smoker.  I know that may come as a shock to some of you, but the truth will out.  Now that I'm officially out of the closet, I can tell you another small truth:  cigars are better when shared with other cigar smokers.  Sort of how I remember that drinking with friends was a lot better than drinking alone.   Another small truth:  I never cared that much if I had to drink alone, as long as I could drink.  But that's yet another story.

And yet one more small truth:  as much as I love to travel, as much as I love my life in Wien, the one thing I miss the most is the camaraderie of my very special circle of Brothers in Seattle.   At least two nights per week, and often more, some part of the Brotherhood would gather for conversation and cigars.  I have very much felt the lack of their company as I putter away at the laptop, solo smoking a fine cigar in my little Garten (yes, Garten). 

There comes a time where one can sit on one's dead ass and moan about the state of affairs or one can seize the goddamn day and strike a blow.  I prefer to reserve my moaning for other activities, so it was with a spring in my step that I set out for Cigarstore Hazar near the Alte Stadt of Wien.  I had been to this fine establishment prior and noticed the small smoking area out front.  As a worst case, I would be smoking alone but with a change of scenery. 

So it was that I found myself whisked along on the U-6 to Langenfeldgasse and thence to the U-4 and Kettenbruckegasse.  After a brief walk I was once more in the thick moist air of the humidor at the back of Hazar's.  With me in the humidor was Herr Ercan Hazar himself, a true cigar aficionado and gentleman.  With a handful of Cubanos and time on my hands, I took a seat at the small table in front of the store.  Alone again, but at least the street was lively and the sun was shining.  

A Partagas 898 and Margarettengasse

My solitude was short-lived.  Very soon the other chairs began to fill and then there were six of us enjoying the afternoon.  Now the solitary herf had turning into a language session as I struggled to keep up with even the context of the conversation.  For the most part, everyone took mercy on me and slowed their Deutsche Sprache down enough to at least give me a fighting chance.  What a glorious afternoon!  Not only could I while away a perfectly good afternoon doing absolutely nothing, I could claim that I was practicing my German as well.  

Yours Truly looking back at himself.

I was back to Hazar's today and enjoyed myself very much.  I am not a stranger there now, nor am I one of the regulars.  But I know a few people by name and I do my best to be a decent addition to the table.  The summer is just beginning here in Wien, so there are many more days where smoking away a warm afternoon will be a sensible pursuit.  Hell, I'm a writer, this is what I'm supposed to be doing anyway.  It's not like I sit in an office all day and work on spreadsheets.  Here is where the author breaks the wall and looks into the reader's eyes... Oh damn, double-damn, I wish my ex-bosses were reading this.  Live well and live large.  It is the best and sweetest revenge!!

If I am trying to find a place where a few people know my name, a place where I am welcome, a place that basic human instinct dictates I find, can you blame me?  It is good to walk up to the table, smile, shake hands, and then settle in for a spell.  It is good to know and be known.  And besides that Brothers and Sisters, it beats smoking alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment